Animation (Visual Media) BA (Hons) Degree Level 8
Course Code CDA1A
NFQ Level 8
Duration 2 Years
Award BA Honours Degree in Visual Media – Animation (University of Dundee)
Why choose a Degree in Animation Visual Media?
This two-year top up course is designed to build on the HND in Classical and Computer Animation (CCH). Students are challenged to develop and integrate their creative, technical, and academic skills in a structured way, producing both individual and group films.
The course aims to develop in the student a balance between the conceptualist, the artist, the storyteller, and the technician. At honours level the learning is largely self-directed. Students produce collaborative animated films, which are screened annually at the Animation and Games Graduate Showcase.
The college maintains excellent relationships with their alumni, many of whom have established Irish animation studios or are employed by them. In total, our alumni have received 9 Academy Award nominations, including Ritchie Baneham and his special effects team for their work on Avatar.
The BA in Animation (Visual Media) is an honours degree validated by the University of Dundee, Scotland.
What will you study?
- Design and Technology
- Visual Media Theory
- Professional Practice
- Life Drawing
- Applied Theory
- Visual Media Production
- The purpose-built studios have the latest version on ToonBoom! Harmony, and TV Paint. All registered students are issued with an Adobe CC license.
- Guest lecturers and workshops with professionals from local and international animation studios are a key feature of this course
- Class trips include visits to animation festivals such as Animation Dingle, Cartoon Forum, and Fete de l’Anime Lille, and to animation studios.
What do you need to apply?
- 120 ECTS credits from the HND in Classical and Computer Animation or equivalent qualification and a portfolio of recent work.
- Students for whom English is their second language, are expected to have an IELTS score of 6.0, or equivalent.
Students applying for the BA in Animation Visual Media should bring to the interview an original portfolio (flat or digital), of artwork completed within the past year demonstrating ability in both figurative and abstract approaches.
- Life drawing sketchbooks with 10 samples of life drawing.
- Samples of Layout and Design, Developmental work, Scripts, Treatments and Storyboards.
- Animation tests with conceptual development and thumbnail work to support context.
- Personal observation sketchbooks and journals exhibiting artistic/cultural interests.
Many of our graduates have progressed directly to employment in Irish animation studios.