Care of The Person With Special Needs Level 5
Course Code SNC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M4339
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Healthcare; Certificate in First Aid; Certificate in Lifting and Handling
Why choose this course?
This one-year full time course has a dual-purpose award, designed whether you have an interest in working as a Health Care Assistant (HCA), or as a Special Needs Assistant (SNA). The course is structured to give you a strong knowledge base in the practices and procedures to work in both these fields.
Work experience is an integral part of this course and consists of a minimum three-week block placement during the academic year. In addition, this course provides you with a unique opportunity to participate in BCFE’s community Partnership Programme with a local primary school.
What will you study?
- Special Needs Assisting (5N1786)
- Care Skills (5N2770)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Care of the Older Person (5N2706)
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Care Support (5N0758)
- Social Studies (5N1370)
- Human Growth and Development (5N1279)
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/ LCVP or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI Level 4 Certificate.
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- First Aid training and Certification
- Patient and Manual Handling Training course with certificate upon completion
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to the Social Care Studies Level 6, (SVC) in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Employment can be sought on completion of this course in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, community care or in a residential care setting.