Care of The Person With Special Needs Level 5
Course Code SNC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M4339
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Healthcare; Certificate in First Aid; Certificate in Lifting and Handling
Why choose Care of The Person With Special Needs?
This one-year full time course has a dual-purpose award, designed whether you have an interest in working as a Health Care Assistant (HCA), or as a Special Needs Assistant (SNA). The course is structured to give you a strong knowledge base in the practices and procedures to work in both these fields.
Work experience is an integral part of this course and consists of a minimum three-week block placement during the academic year. In addition, this course provides you with a unique opportunity to participate in BCFE’s community Partnership Programme with a local primary school.
What will you study?
- Care Skills (5N2770)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Care Support (5N0758)
- Human Growth and Development (5N1279)
- Students who are interested in working as Special Needs Assistants will take the following modules in addition to the core modules:
- Students who are interested in working as Healthcare Assistants (Care of the Older Person) will take the following modules in addition to the core modules:
What do you need to apply?
Please refer to the Entry Requirements
- First Aid training and Certification
- Patient and Manual Handling Training course with certificate upon completion
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to the Advanced Certificate in Social Care Studies Level 6, (SVC) in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
Employment can be sought on completion of this course in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, community care or in a residential care setting.