Travel & Tourism Level 5
Course Code RTC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M5011
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Tourism with Business; Ready for Take Off Certificate (International Academy of Travel)
Why choose this course?
This broad travel and tourism course is designed for applicants interested in a career in travel and tourism. You will be participating in a range of areas, from cabin crew training and airline studies, to travel agent studies.
At the end of the year, you will have achieved two tourism qualifications, a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Travel and Tourism and a Certificate from the International Academy of Travel (IAOT), which covers cabin crew training, passenger services and travel agent training.
Once qualified you will graduate with the benefit of having gained valuable practical knowledge of how to deal with customers in person, or by phone, have a better understanding of the necessary skills required in the tourism sector, have a deep understanding of the passenger service agent and cabin crew role and responsibilities, as well as having gained excellent personal presentation and front-line people skills adapted to the tourism and travel sector. As part of the preparation in presentation, students wear a uniform one day a week.
What will you study?
- Customer Service (5N0972)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Word Processing (5N1358)
- Tourism Information and Administration (5N0636)
- Tourism Principles and Practice (5N2078)
- Irish Cultural and Heritage Resources (5N1293)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Ecotourism (5N0631)
- Ready for Take Off (IAOT)
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/ LCVP or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI Level 4 Certificate.
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- Students may apply for international work experience funded by the Erasmus+ study programme.
- The ‘Ready for Take Off’ module prepares you for work in the airline industry either as cabin crew or as passenger service agents.
- Trips and excursions to various tourist destinations in Ireland.
- Hosting college events as part of Work Experience.
- Work Experience in organisations, such as travel agencies, hotels and museums.
- Career preparation including interview techniques, personal presentation skills and Job applications.
- Intensive one-day training at Waterford airport:
- Cabin crew duties and responsibilities.
- Checking-in and boarding passengers.
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to the Tourism with Business Level 6 course at BCFE, which includes an Erasmus+ programme where students work abroad for 6 weeks.
- Students can also apply for entry to other higher national diploma courses offered in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).