If you are interested in working with children, this new one-year, full-time childcare course is designed for you to learn about the practices and procedures involved in taking care of children culminating in 150 hours (6 weeks) in at least 2 different Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) placements.
Work experience will be an integral part of this new course. This is a very exciting time for changes in childcare training in Ireland. Come to BCFE and become an ELC professional.
- The Developing Child
- Professional Practice Placement
- Holistic Care of Children (Birth to 6 years)
- Legislation, Regulations and Children’s Rights
- Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies
- Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/LCVP or a merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI level 4 Certificate. The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+). All applicants are required to bring two written references to interview.
- Graduates with a merit profile may apply for entry to the Advanced Certificate in Social Care Studies Level 6, (SVC) in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities. The proposed new ELC programme will be a professional standard award (linked to ELC practice) and will allow students who successfully complete their award level to progress smoothly to the next level, from Level 5 (at BCFE) to Level 6 to Level 7 to Level 8 at nearby colleges, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- The majority of students who successfully complete the QQI Level 5 in Early Childhood Care and Education get work immediately as Childcare assistants or Room Leaders in crèches.