Level 5 Certificate in Early Learning & Care
Course Code ELC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M21473
Award Year 1: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Early Learning and Care (5M21473)
Why choose Early Learning & Care?
This new course gives students the most up-to-date knowledge and practical skills that employers expect today for working with young children and babies.
In 1 year, you will be qualified to work in a variety of early learning and care settings for young children as a Childcare Assistant, and as an Independent You can work in creches, playschools, after-school care, montessori groups, ECCE community creches, Naíonraí, Forest pre- schools, your own home, or a child’s family home.
Placement involves 6 weeks of work placement which is central to learning and This is 1 day per week all year, and 2 blocks of two-weeks each where you are fully immersed in your work placement. Placements include creches, playschools, after-school care, montessori groups, ECCE community creches, Naíonraí, Forest pre- schools, and child advocacy organisations.
What will you study?
- Early Childhood Growth and Development (5C21526)
- Professional Practice Placement in Early Learning and Care (5C21523)
- Holistic Care of Children 0-6 years (5C21525)
- Children’s Rights, Legislation and Regulations (5C21524)
- Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies (5C21527)
- Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs (5C21528)
- A NEW dedicated Early Learning and Care Suite offering students an authentic and engaging environment to develop as a student and as a practitioner. This matches the workplace environment and practice of for working with babies, toddlers, and young children.
- A Specialist Teaching Suite developed for this course
- Expert Creche Manager leading workplace learning and support
- Authentic and engaging creche environment to develop your skills
- 6 weeks work experience
- Active and practical student-led learning
- Committed experienced teachers support you in small class.
- Class Outings enrich your work experience, your learning, activity and are fun!
- Visits can be to indoor and outdoor childcare services to see their work, and trips to community spaces just like staff in creches do.
What do you need to apply?
Please refer to the Entry Requirements
- Graduates who successfully pass can progress into Advanced Early Learning & Care Level 6
- Top-up to a Level 8 degree in two years (after Level 6) under the new CAO direct progression pathway for the Childcare sector.
- Advanced entry to Level 8 Degree in Early Childhood Studies (e.g. Maynooth University) is available for some QQI graduates in the National Higher Links Scheme.
- Graduates who successfully complete the QQI Level 5 in Early Learning and Care (Childcare) get work immediately as Childcare assistants or Room Leaders in crèches, playschools, after-school care, montessori groups, ECCE community creches, Naíonraí, and Forest pre-schools. Graduates also work as independent registered childminders.
- Graduates of Level 6 work as Team Leaders in a variety of early learning and care settings
- Graduates of Level 8 degree work as Managers and Curriculum developers in a variety of early learning and care settings. They also work as advisors in government and voluntary organisations, and as child advocates. They lead and shape the early learning and care profession.