Early Learning & Care (Childcare) Level 5
Course Code SCC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M21473
Award Year 1: QQI Level 5 Certificate in Early Learning and Care (5M21473)
Why choose this course?
If you interested in working with young children then this course is for you. It offers you a comprehensive preparation for a career in early years care and education which is highly rewarding and requires detailed knowledge, competencies, and skills.
This course will prepare you for working with babies, toddlers, and young children in a variety of workplaces including creches, playschools, after school-care, Montessori settings, ECCE community crèches, Naíonraí, Forest preschools, and child advocacy organisations. As part of this course, you will receive practical training, and develop a comprehensive understanding of childcare theory and legislation. This will be completed by 6 weeks work experience which is central to the learning and assessment elements of this course.
What will you study?
- Early Childhood Growth and Development (5C21526)
- Professional Practice Placement in Early Learning and Care (5C21523)
- Holistic Care of Children 0-6 years (5C21525)
- Children’s Rights, Legislation and Regulations (5C21524)
- Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies (5C21527)
- Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs (5C21528)
- A NEW dedicated Early Learning and Care Suite offering students an authentic and engaging environment to develop as a student and as a practitioner. This matches the workplace environment and practice of for working with babies, toddlers, and young children.
- A structured support during work experience:
- In-depth knowledge of young children’s development, learning, care and inclusion
- Focus on administration in Stage 2
- Active student-led learning with practice-based assessments.
- Experienced and supportive teaching team with a sector expert
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/LCVP or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI level 4 Certificate, or equivalent certificate.
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- Graduates of this Level 5 course can progress to the Level 6 course which is offered in other Further Education and Training Colleges and Centres.
- NEW: Top-up to a Level 8 degree in Early Childhood Education in two years through CAO higher education institutions. Graduates can apply for advanced entry into 3rd year of a 4-year degree, as part of governments direct progression pathway for the childcare sector.
- Most graduates who successfully complete the QQI Level 5 in Early Learning and Care get work immediately as Childcare assistants or Room Leaders in crèches, playschools, after-school care, montessori groups, ECCE community creches, Naíonraí, and Forest pre-schools. Graduates also work in child advocacy organisations or as independent registered childminders.
- Level 6 graduates in Advanced Certificate in Early Learning & Care are in high demand in the childcare sector. Most graduates start their career as Team Leaders and Supervisors in creches, playschools, after-school care, montessori groups, ECCE community creches, Naíonraí, and Forest pre-schools. Graduates also work in child advocacy organisations or as independent childminders.