Business Level 6
Course Code BHND
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Business
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business
Why choose this course?
This is a wide-ranging business course which will broaden your academic knowledge and business skills. A major emphasis is placed on the developing your personal and technical skills required for success in the business world.
The learning is student centred and involves practical workrelated assignments. As a general business course, it opens up avenues within all areas of business.
The HND in Business has proved an excellent foundation for further study, and many of our students have progressed to the Business Degree Programmes in TU Dublin, using the BCFE Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the TU Dublin (Tallaght) to gain advanced entry
What will you study?
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Processes and Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Management
- Accounting Principles
- Managing a Successful Business Project
- Business Law
- Recording Financial Transactions
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Business
- Research Project
- Organisational Behaviour
- Statistics for Management
- Business Strategy
- Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations
- International Marketing
- Planning for Growth
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Business
What do you need to apply?
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum of two O1/H5 and three O6/H7 grades, or a relevant QQI Level 5 award with a Merit profile, or a relevant BTEC National Diploma with a Merit profile.
- Suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 courses include:
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Business, can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Business.
- BCFE has Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the TU Dublin (Tallaght) to gain advanced entry to their Business degree programmes.
- Second year BHND students may apply for international work experience funded by the Erasmus+ study programme.
- BCFE has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the TU Dublin (Tallaght), this a formal arrangement allows advanced entry into either 2nd or 3rd year of the Business Management Level 8 Degree programme for our Higher National Diploma in Business students who have achieved either a Pass/ Merit profile or a Merit/Distinction profile respectively. TU Dublin (Blanchardstown), and the National College of Ireland may also grant exemption from year one, and in some cases year two of relevant degree courses on an individual basis.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Graduates of business from BCFE may seek employment in accounts, HR, sales, marketing, and management.
View More Testimonials
I decided to study at Ballyfermot College of Further Education (BCFE) because of its excellent reputation as a college whose main goal is to ensure all students leave with the best qualifications possible. The reason I first chose the Business, Office and Administration programme was because it is a great course for building the skills and the knowledge needed to work in a business environment. It has also allowed me to learn more about myself and what I am capable of doing. After completing this one-year programme I progressed on to the Higher National Diploma Level 6 in Business (BHND). I intend on continuing to Degree level in Business in the future. The staff are experts in their field of study and are always willing to provide assistance to students who need it.
Office Administration & IT Skills Level 5 (BOS), Business Studies Diploma (HND) Level 6 Higher (BHND)
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.