Advanced Games Production & Design Level 6
Course Code DGH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
Why choose this course?
Our Advanced Games Production and Design course will provide you with the skills required to turn pen and paper game designs into fully functional interactive products. Using industry-standard tools, theory, techniques and cutting-edge technology you can bring your ideas to life and then test them out online with the gaming community.
Many of our graduates have gained employment in world-class companies, while others have established companies of their own. This course is also a pathway to the Games Design Visual Media BA (Hons) Degree Level 8.
What will you study?
- Game Development Practices
- Games in Context
- Game Design
- Creative Media Industry
- Professional Practice
- Audio Practices
- Principles of Animation
- Individual Project
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
- Advanced Game Development Studies
- Advanced 3D Modelling
- Personal Professional Development
- Environment and Level Design
- Collaborative Project
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
What do you need to apply?
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum of two O1/H5 and three O6/H7 grades or equivalent, or a relevant QQI level 5 award with a Merit profile.
- Suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 courses include:
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility, may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design).
Students applying for the Advanced Games Production and Design Course should bring to the interview an original portfolio of your best work completed within the past year. Portfolios are acceptable in a range of media, such as:
- Game Design Preferably display your work running in an executable file from a game engine such as Unity3D or Unreal.
- Artwork A printed or on-screen portfolio of artwork, showing up to your ten best pieces. Digital or handmade pieces are equally acceptable
- Web or App Design Any published websites or apps you may have made. Wireframe prototypes are also acceptable
- Graduates may apply for the Games Design Visual Media BA (Hons) Degree Level 8 in BCFE, awarded by the University of Dundee, Scotland.
- Graduates may apply for entry to the Media Production Management BA (Hons) Level 8 in BCFE, awarded by Dublin City University.
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.