Advanced Games Production & Design Level 6
Course Code DGH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
* The Higher National Diploma is recognised by the QQI as being comparable to the Higher Certificate at NFQ Level 6
Why choose a HND in Advanced Games Production & Design?
Our Advanced Games Production and Design course will provide you with the skills required to turn pen and paper game designs into fully functional interactive products. Using industry-standard tools, theory, techniques and cutting-edge technology you can bring your ideas to life and then test them out online with the gaming community.
Many of our graduates have gained employment in world-class companies, while others have established companies of their own. This course is also a pathway to the Games Design Visual Media BA (Hons) Degree Level 8.
What will you study?
- Game Development Practices
- Games in Context
- Game Design
- Creative Media Industry
- Professional Practice
- Audio Practices
- Principles of Animation
- Individual Project
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
- Advanced Game Development Studies
- Advanced 3D Modelling
- Personal Professional Development
- Environment and Level Design
- Collaborative Project
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design)
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, for this course, please note for this course you will also need to provide a portfolio of your recent work. Please see the ‘Portfolio Guidelines’ for details.
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- A suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 award, with a merit profile, that satisfies the entry requirements is:
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility, may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design).
Students applying for the Advanced Games Production and Design Course should bring to the interview an original portfolio of your best work completed within the past year. Portfolios are acceptable in a range of media, such as:
- Game Design Preferably display your work running in an executable file from a game engine such as Unity3D or Unreal.
- Artwork A printed or on-screen portfolio of artwork, showing up to your ten best pieces. Digital or handmade pieces are equally acceptable
- Web or App Design Any published websites or apps you may have made. Wireframe prototypes are also acceptable
- Graduates may apply for the BA Honours Degree in Games (Visual Media) in BCFE. The BA Honours Degree in Games Visual Media is awarded by the University of Dundee, Scotland, or
- Graduates may apply for entry to the BA (Hons) in Media Production Management in BCFE, awarded by Dublin City University
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.