Film Level 6
Course Code IFH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Film)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Film)
Why choose a HND in Film?
The Higher National Diploma in Film is designed to give you the opportunity to express yourself through the medium of film.
The programme combines an emphasis on the art of filmmaking and the visual representation of story with the development of technical, organisational and production skills.
It consists of five main areas: practical camera and lighting, theory and analysis, art direction, production management and postproduction processes. There is an emphasis on visual language and cinematography. You will be encouraged to examine the variety of styles of filmmaking, both contemporary and historical.
What will you study?
- Cinematography – Camera
- Cinematography – Lighting
- Film Practice
- Film Studies
- Editing for Film & Television
- Professional Practice
- Creative Media Industry
- Individual Project
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Film)
- Advanced Film Production Studies
- Advanced Editing for Film & Television
- Scriptwriting for Film & Television
- Film Criticism
- Art Direction and Production Design
- Collaborative Project
- Personal Professional Development
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Film)
- Sound Stage
- Scenery Room
- Dressing Rooms
- Avid Edit Suites
- ARRI and Atton Super 16mm Cameras
- Alexa Digital Cinematography Camera
- Lighting and support equipment
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, for this course you will also need to provide a portfolio of your recent work. Please see the ‘Portfolio Guidelines’ for details.
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- Suitable BCFE Level 5 awards, with a merit profile, that satisfy the entry requirements are:
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Film), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Film).
- Applicants should submit an original portfolio of their recent visual work
- Each applicant will be assessed on their portfolio work.
- The portfolio should contain items that are current and relevant to the application. The emphasis should be on quality and not quantity
- Film and/or Video along with Photography work should be submitted.
- If your film/video work is a group production, you should show parts that contain your own
- Photographic work should show your skills in lighting, framing and composition and possibly sequence.
- No more than 20 photos should be presented
- Storyboards may also be included in the portfolio.
- A brief written account of your role in the creation of the work submitted should be
- On application, the college will advise you on how to submit your portfolio.
- Graduates who achieve a Merit/Distinction profile may apply for entry to the BA (Hons) in Media Production Management in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Graduates may also gain exemption of one or two years from cognate degree courses in the UK.
View More Testimonials
In 2015 I began my first course in BCFE in Television and Digital Film (ITC). It had been 15 years since I was last in full time education and as a mature student I was unsure how I would fare. The course gave me an introduction to many elements of film making, from photography and editing to screen writing and live TV production. I found the teaching staff to be friendly, dedicated and highly skilled. BCFE gave me the skills needed to produce the stories I wanted to tell, and the skills I learnt enabled me to progress to the HND in Film Production (IFH). Two of the highlights of my year were our end of year exhibition of our films and photography and being given the opportunity of producing a live studio piece in the college.
ITC Television – Television and Digital Film Level 5, IFH Film Diploma (HND) Level 6 Higher
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.