Journalism and Content Creation Level 6
Course Code MJH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Journalism)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Journalism)
Why choose a HND in Journalism and Content Creation?
This practical journalism course focuses on developing your multimedia skills to prepare you to work across all platforms: social, mobile, broadcast, digital and print journalism.
You will be trained to become a skilled digital content creator who can demonstrate essential skills and use of new technologies for the fast-moving 21st century media workplace. These includes smartphone photography and video journalism and the use of Adobe software for digital page production, social media campaigns and digital editing (sound and video). On completion of this course, you will have developed the production skills necessary to create content for a variety of genres: podcasting, radio, TV, video, photography, newspapers, magazines and online
Throughout this course you are encouraged to create high quality media content, which can be used to build a portfolio of work which is essential for seeking employment or pursuing a place in further or higher education.
The course has a practical emphasis with work placements in both years.
What will you study?
- Journalism Practices
- Journalism and Society
- Creative Media Industries
- Professional Practice
- Principles of Photography
- Interview and Presentation Techniques
- Digital Page Production
- Individual Projects
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Journalism)
- Advanced Journalism Studies
- Social Media Practice
- Magazine and Feature Production
- Personal Professional Development
- News & Editorial
- Collaborative Project
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Journalism)
- Full Access to digital and touchscreen broadcast studios and individual podcast booths.
- Access to portable microphones and home podcast kits
- Students can apply for fully funded Erasmus+ placements in media organisations in Finland and Portugal.
- Google-certified training in Data Analytics, Project Management and UX Design.
- Workshops in Data Journalism, Mobile Journalism (MOJO), Sports Journalism and Podcasting with experienced practitioners
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, please note for this course applicants may present a portfolio of published / unpublished written work at interview and demonstrate an interest in and aptitude for journalism.
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- A suitable BCFE Level 5 award, with a merit profile, that satisfies the entry requirements is
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Journalism), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Journalism).
- Graduates who achieve a Merit/Distinction profile may apply for the BA (Hons) Degree in Media Production Management at BCFE, a one-year top up degree that is validated by DCU.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities such as Journalism at DCU or apply for advanced entry to TU Dublin, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Graduates may gain exemptions from one or two years of degree courses in the UK.
Graduates of this course work as digital content creators, sports journalists, reporters, radio presenters, podcasters, TV producers, editors of newspapers and magazines, copywriters and more recently in content and digital marketing positions that require a grounding in multimedia journalism with advanced social media skills.
BCFE’s journalism course gave me the confidence, courage and knowledge to pursue a career in journalism. I landed an internship at a women’s digital media publication in 2017 and was promoted to Deputy Editor of three websites, including Shemazing.net in 2019. I’ve been able to interview all kinds of people thanks to the skills I developed during my two years at BCFE. The course is hands-on, practical and gives you a strong understanding of the industry and will strengthen your love of writing and storytelling.
Kat O’Connor, Deputy Editor, Shemazing.net
Higher National Diploma in Journalism (MJH 2015-2017)
View More Testimonials
Ballyfermot College of Further Education helped to shape my understanding of the Irish media landscape and its different news values. During the two-year Diploma in Journalism we created a student newspaper, the Student Chronicle. While working on the paper I discovered I really enjoyed working in a news environment, the thrill of trying to find stories, getting interviews and seeing the finished product. Without BCFE I wouldn’t be where I am today. I can’t recommend the college enough for anyone who is looking to work in journalism.
Oisín Ó Cuilleanáin, Multimedia Journalist RTE
Higher National Diploma in Journalism, (MJH 2015 – 2017)
BA in Media Production Management, (MPM 2018)
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.