Radio & Podcasting Producing and Presenting Level 6
Course Code MRH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Sound Media)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Sound Media)
* The Higher National Diploma is recognised by the QQI as being comparable to the Higher Certificate at NFQ Level 6
Why choose a HND in Radio & Podcasting Producing and Presenting ?
This Radio & Podcasting Producing and Presenting course involves podcast content creation, production, and presentation, along with strong links to the radio industry including ongoing guest lecturers and excellent work experience placements in radio stations.
In small classes you will be taught everything about radio, from how to hold a microphone to how set up a Radio Station. You will learn music radio programming and presenting; researching; making feature programmes, news, and documentaries which are broadcast on two college radio stations, including an FM radio station broadcasting to Dublin.
Work Experience includes opportunities of working on college radio stations, online and FM stations, ACAST podcasting and working with ‘Movie Extras’. There are also funded work placements through the Erasmus+ programme, which include radio stations in Malta, Spain and Finland.
What will you study?
- Radio Production
- Audio Practices
- Audio Studies
- Professional Practice
- Scriptwriting for Sound
- Interview and Presentation Techniques
- Individual Project
- Creative Media Industry
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Sound Media)
- Podcast Production
- Radio Management
- News and Editorial
- Collaborative Project
- Personal Professional Development
- Advanced Sound Media Studies
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Sound Media)
- The Radio course has state of the art fully digital and touchscreen broadcast studios and individual podcast booths.
- Students are equipped with portable recorders as well as a Home Podcast Studio and Gold Membership of Acast.com
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, please note for this course
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- A suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 award, with a merit profile, that satisfies the entry requirements is:
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Sound Media), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate, and subject to module compatibility may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Sound Media).
- Graduates who achieve a Merit/Distinction profile may apply for entry to the BA (Hons) in Media Production Management in BCFE. This is a one-year top-up degree validated by DCU.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Graduates from this course have an extremely strong track record of success in media industry, working in all the major radio stations, both on air and in production.
- BCFE radio graduates are consistently successful in gaining nominations and winning awards at the IMRO National Industry Radio Awards, and this year, ex-BCFE Radio students were nominated for 35 awards and won over 20.
- Record 35 shortlisted nominations for IMRO Radio Industry Awards for BCFE Radio Alumni
- See a range of Videos here or click a news story
- BCFE Brother and Sister Tara (SPIN 1038) and Daniel Walsh Release New Music
- BCFE Radio Student Assignment becomes RTE Radio Doc on 1
- BBC’s Louise Molony ex BCFE Radio and Degree Student Interviewed
- BCFE Radio Students get Podcasting Workshop
- Former students set up Quarantine FM radio station
- BCFE Radio Students at IMRO Radio Awards
- Olivier Mauxion meets BCFE Radio Course Students
- Shireen Langan meets Radio Course Students
- Former radio student and BBC journalist, Simon O’Leary discusses coming out in Ireland
- BCFE Radio student videos and podcast on their Erasmus+ trip to Helsinki, Finland
- 2018 Graduate Tara Walsh gives Guest Lecture
- 2018 Graduate Jessica Maciel gives Guest Lecture
- BCFE Radio, BBC TV & Simon O’Leary
- BCFE graduate Jessica Maciel to host on BBC Radio 1
- BCFE Radio Stars of the Future
- Work Experience Trip for Students
- Radio Programming & Production Student Wins Google News Lab Fellowship
- BCFE Radio Course Students’ Broadcasts
View More Testimonials
I really found my feet during the two-year radio course as it was so hands on and practical. I completed MND then (MRH) HND Radio course and the Media Management Degree all in BCFE. The lecturers are so encouraging and supportive of work placements and they have the network to help you get your foot in the door of Ireland’s biggest broadcasters. It’s so important to put the theory learnt in lectures into practice in the workplace as it’s the only way to get a start in the industry. Ballyfermot are so encouraging of this and I’ll always be forever grateful for their drive to get me into the workplace. I’m now living in London and freelance as a producer for Sky News and Channel 4 News. I’m currently a reporter and producer on the BBC’s flagship day time news programme, The Victoria Derbyshire programme which airs each weekday on BBC Two and the News Channel.
Simon O’Leary, Reporter and producer on the BBC’s The Victoria Derbyshire Programme
National Diploma in Media (MND 2015)
Higher National Diploma in Radio Programming and Production (MRH 2015 – 2017)
BA in Media Production Management (MPM 2018)
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.