Visual Effects and 3D Technology Level 6
Course Code IFX
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects)
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects)
Why choose a HND in Visual Effects and 3D Technology?
This course offers a pathway into the booming Visual Effects (VFX) sector. Ireland is a hub of excellence for VFX, with local studios working on productions such Marvel Studios ‘Black Widow’ or Sky Originals ‘Intergalactic’.
Visual Effects (VFX) involves combining live action and digitally created images to create and develop high quality digital content for the 3D animation and visual effects industry.
During this two-year course you will work with industry leading content creation tools, techniques and workflows. In addition to developing your artistic ability. With some classes delivered by Industry experts you will learn up to date production techniques.
BCFE has a reputation for graduates who excel in this field working in TV, animation and Feature Films. BCFE graduate Richie Baneham, won the Oscar for the Best Visual Effects on ‘Avatar’, and nominated again for ‘Avatar: The Way of water’.
What will you study?
- Visual Effects and Motion Graphics Cultures
- Visual Effects Practices
- Creative Media Industry
- Professional Practice
- 3D Modelling
- Principles of Photography
- Individual Project
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects)
- Collaborative Project
- Personal Professional Development
- Advanced Visual Effects Studies
- Advanced Rendering and Visualisation
- Advanced 3D Modelling
- Advanced Compositing for Film and Television
- Asset Capture & Management
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects)
Industry-standard hardware/software like Maya, Nuke, Photoshop, Zbrush, Mari, Mudbox, VRay, Arnold, Shotgun and access to our cutting-edge TV Studio facilities
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, for this course you will also need to provide a portfolio of your recent work. Please see the ‘Portfolio Guidelines’ for details.
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- Suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 awards, with a merit profile, that satisfy the entry requirements are:
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects), can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate and subject to module compatibility may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production (Visual Effects).
- Each candidate will be interviewed on their portfolio work.
- The portfolio interview will last approximately 20 minutes.
- Candidates may present a variety of portfolio work. The emphasis should be on quality and not quantity.
- Portfolio work may consist of any or all of the following:
- Digital artwork
- Digital images or short video clips which have been either shot, edited or digitally manipulated by the applicant.
- Graduates may apply for the BA (Hons) Degree in Games Design (Visual Media) in BCFE. The BA Honours Degree in Visual Media is validated by the University of Dundee, Scotland.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- Graduates may also gain exemption of one or two years from other degree courses in the UK.
VFX and CGI/3D are growing sectors with significant employment opportunities in Ireland and On successful completion of the course graduates may seek employment and a career in 3D/CGI/ VFX either locally or internationally.
View More Testimonials
One of the great things about the VFX & 3D Technology course is the strong ties to industry – the frequency and quality of guest speakers has been beneficial and insightful, as have the extra-curricular activities the tutors have involved us in; be it film screenings or a visit to a studio. These activities have been positive and encouraging and have led to more cohesion as a class.
Anita Bonesteel Dice
Visual Effects and 3D Technology (HND)
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.