Nursing Studies Level 5
Course Code SPN
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M4349
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Nursing Studies
Why choose this course?
The aim of this course is to enable you to apply to colleges of nursing in Ireland or the UK, or to gain certification to work as a healthcare assistant in diverse care settings.
Nursing theory and practice is a core module and is taught by a clinical nurse practitioner. To prepare you for further study in nursing training, or for future employment, there is a strong emphasis on developing your practical skills and personal qualities throughout the course. Guest lectures from past students provide an insight into progression and networking opportunities.
Work experience makes up a core element of the course, where you attend different care settings to gain experience in all aspects of nursing. Practical training is carried out in the college using specialist equipment, such as hospital beds, manual and ceiling hoists, wheelchairs and sliding hoists.
You will gain your skills working within BCFE’s dedicated Nursing room, which contains industry standard equipment, and which is modelled on a hospital room in St James Hospital.
What will you study?
- Nursing Theory and Practice (5N4325)
- Anatomy and Physiology (5N0749)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Care Provision and Practice (5N2705)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Social Studies (5N1370)
- Human Growth and Development (5N1279)
- Psychology (5N0754)
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/LCVP or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI Level 4 Certificate.
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+)
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to the Social Care Studies Level 6, (SVC) in BCFE.
- Progression for graduates of this course to certain Irish Schools of Nursing is now possible for a small number of pre-Nursing graduates through the Higher Education Links Scheme. Applicants should note that Leaving Certificate grades higher than the minimum What do you need to apply? for this course are required for direct entry to nursing in Ireland and in the UK, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- This course also has links with specific UK colleges which may recruit graduates to train in the UK.