If you have a keen interest in the area of 3D computer generated animation or effects, then this course provides you with a unique opportunity to obtain the skills to work in visual effects, animation or video production.
This is the first QQI level 5 traineeship course in of its kind in Ireland. It has been developed by BCFE in collaboration with leading animation production and post-production companies in Ireland who have seen strong growth recently.
In addition to the QQI modules you will gain experience in specialist areas such as 3D fundamentals CGI generalist, 3D rigging fundamentals, CG cameras and Matchmove for visual effects, compositing-matte creation, rotoscoping and paint restoration while on placement in industry in leading creative media companies.
The course is a 1-year (48-week traineeship). You will be on practical placement in industry for 12 weeks, in various blocks, over the duration of the year, and the remainder of the course time will be completed at BCFE.
- Computer Illustrated Graphics
- 3 Dimensional Computer Graphics
- Work Practice
- Digital Photography
- Image Processing
- Digital Editing
- Design Skills
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/LCVP or a merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI level 4 Certificate. The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- Applicants will be invited to a 20-minute interview. At the interview they must bring a portfolio with samples of some of their own of creative work.
- The portfolio can include content such as short video clips, photographic images, digital artwork or any other digital work, which has been produced, edited or digitally modified/enhanced by the candidate.
- Applicants should provide evidence of a good work ethic and a strong personal interest in the area. Though not an essential requirement, evidence of an ability to draw would be considered an advantage.
- Graduates with a merit profile may apply for entry to BTEC Higher National Diploma courses in BCFE such as:
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
- It is anticipated that graduates of this programme will move from the course into employment and a career in Animation, VFX or video post-production either locally or internationally.