Facilities Usage Agreement
Any student who uses the College/Centre’s computer and network facilities does so on the understanding that he/she agrees to abide by the City of Dublin Vocational Education Committee’s Computer and Network Usage Policy and by the Code of Practice outlined below. The primary purpose of this Code of Practice is to ensure that all users operate in a safe and secure environment and that the computer and network resources in the College/Centre are protected from loss, modification or destruction.
- To accept that any behaviour considered inappropriate in the ordinary world is also considered inappropriate in the virtual world and that inappropriate behaviour in using the Internet is prohibited.
- To make no attempt to try to gain access to confidential information concerning individuals which is held on the system, “hack” into systems or interfere with the intended operation of the College/Centre’s computer and network resources and to accept that “hacking” is a serious offence under criminal law.
- Not to access, download, save, create or transmit unauthorised software, “plug-ins”, games or other entertainment software (including screen savers) or save inappropriate or offensive material.
- Not knowingly to perform any act which will interfere with the normal operation of computers, peripherals or networks or knowingly destroy the integrity of computer-based information.
- Not to give another individual unauthorised access to my computer account and to make no attempt to access another individual’s computer files.
- Not to use the computer and network facilities for unauthorised profit or commercial purposes.
- Not to create or transmit any abusive, obscene, threatening, defamatory, offensive or harassing images or material or cause offence to another individual or discriminate on the grounds of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political belief, age, disability, race, colour or membership of the traveller community.
- Not to send or store anonymous e-mail or partake in or promote chain e-mail messages or send unnecessary files that would adversely affect computer and network resources.
- Not to open e-mail attachments from unsolicited or unknown sources.
- That by its very nature, the Internet is an insecure network with no guarantee of either privacy or confidentiality for its users and that information posted on the Internet is available to a global audience. I also agree not to post on the Internet any personal information such as home address, telephone numbers, contact details, or other personal information about myself or any other person without the express permission of the principal/head of Centre.
- Not to register or sign “visitors books” on Websites without prior permission.
- That the College/Centre may check my computer files and monitor my e-mail and Internet activities.
- To report to the College/Centre any suspected abuse of computer and network resources, or any inappropriate material or e-mail that may come to my attention as well as any suspected damage or problems with files.
- To access the Internet during the period(s) allocated to me for this purpose only.
- That should I fail to comply with any of the preceding conditions, all access privileges may be denied to me and I may be subject to other disciplinary procedures.
I have read and understood the foregoing and agree to its terms.