IDEATE – Exhibition of graduate work from Fibre Art, Graphic Design and Illustration HND students
BCFE Graduation Show for our Higher National Diplomas in Fibre Art, Graphic Design and Illustration will take place in the Cow Shed at Farmleigh, Phoenix Park from May 17th – 21st. All are welcome.
Opening times: Mon – Fri 10am – 5pm, Sat & Sun 12pm – 4pm.
“Ideate” the 21st Graduate Design Exhibition of Ballyfermot College of Further Education will take place on May 16th, at The Cowshed, Farmleigh, Phoenix Park at 6.30pm-8pm.
Irish illustrator Brian Fitzpatrick
We are delighted to have the award winning Irish illustrator Brian Fitzpatrick, as our guest speaker opening this year’s graduate exhibition. Brian is an illustrator recognised with several important illustration awards: He has collaborated in newspapers and journals: The Wall Street Journal, Johns Hopkins Medicine, The Irish Times and The Boston Globe. His illustrations also appear in advertising and animations. Brian also illustrates and designs Children’s picture books published worldwide. In 2014 Brian was the winner of the International Silent Book Competition at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair in Italy.
Higher National Diploma in Illustration, Fibre Art and Graphics
This exhibition profiles the work of graduates of three of our Higher National Diploma in Illustration, Fibre Art and Graphics. Students investigate art and design practices through a range of disciplines both traditional and contemporary. Through their education in studio, live projects such as “Off the Cuff” and the exhibition with Illustrators Guild Ireland “Judging by the Cover”, both hosted by our local Ballyfermot Library.
Illustration, Fibre Art and Graphics News
- Students partook in live projects such as Art Book Fair, Temple Bar Gallery, exhibiting and selling their work.
- Students took part in Dublin History Festival at Dublin Castle.
- Illustration students travelled to Athlone to ‘Without the Words“, IGI exhibition at the Luan gallery.
- HND Fibre Art and Illustration graduates took part again in Art Source, RDS, in November 2016- a terrific platform for their work.
- Rachel Corcoran, a past graduate of the HND in Graphics recently exhibited her work in Só Collective in The Kildare Village outlet.
- Gerard Dwyer, another past graduate of the HND in Graphic Design was selected as an ICAD Upstart 2016. The Institute of Creative Advertising & Design (ICAD) is a not-for-profit organisation. It seeks to ‘foster, promote and reward creative excellence in Irish advertising & design’. The Upstarts initiative has a small intake — just 12 candidates for both the advertising and design strands.
- Fergal O’Connor, HND in Illustration graduate, illustrated Úna Leavy’s ‘Celtic Magical Fairytales’.
- the Botanical Gardens have accepted the graduates of HND in Fibre Art to “Sculpture in Context”
- Siobhan Kelly- second year student of the HND in Fibre Art- interned in design for children’s wear collection at Primark Head Office
- Teresa Howes is interning in Germany before returning to Ireland to work on a children’s alphabet book.
- Karl O’Rowe is the comic book artist on a pilot programme (Uberheroes) linked with the community / mental health programme for young adults.
Our graduates will pursue different pathways- some into advanced entry into further education and others will work freelance within the illustration, graphics and applied arts areas.
Finally, the exhibition will be open for public viewing from May 17th– May 21st– 10am-5pm.