NEW Pre-University Foundation in Social Science and Arts Level 5
Course Code ELS
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M3114
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in General Studies
Why choose this course?
If you are a school leaver or mature person looking for a platform to progress to a wide range of careers in Social Sciences, Humanities or the Arts then this course if for you. This course is specifically designed as a transition year to studying at third level and will provide you with the fundamental knowledge and skills required for success in broad based Arts/Social Science programmes. In essence you will get a real taste for what’s required at third level before committing to a degree programme.
On this course you will study the core areas of social science and arts such as European Studies, Political Studies, Psychology and Social Studies. These subjects are complimented by modules that assist in the development of your transferable skills such as Communications, Word Processing, Research and Study Skills. As part of this course you will complete a two-week placement in a relevant setting to gain an understanding of how theory is put into practice.
On completion you can use this QQI Level 5 major award to apply to through the Higher Links Scheme for a place in many of the different degrees programmes in this area.
What will you study?
- Research and Study Skills (5N3113)
- Personal & Professional Development (5N2985)
- European Studies (5N1444)
- Word Processing (5N1358)
- Political Studies (5N1837)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Psychology (5N0754)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Social Studies (5N1370)
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/ LCVP, or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or QQI Level 4 Certificate. All applicants will be interviewed and allowed to demonstrate a strong personal interest in the area.
- The academic requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- Students who successfully complete with a Merit profile may apply for entry to any of the Level 6 courses in BCFE and other Colleges of Further Education.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/ or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities such as the higher certificate and degree programmes in the faculties of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences in Maynooth University, Dublin City University; University College Dublin and Trinity College, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).