Animation Drawing Studies Level 5
Course Code CDS
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M1985
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Art
Why choose Animation Drawing Studies?
Animation Drawing Studies is a comprehensive foundation programme in animation with a particular emphasis on developing strong drawing skills.
You will learn the fundamentals of animation layout and drawing, figure studies, painting and sculpture which will enhance your creativity and your artistic skills.
This course will provide you with a great introduction to the world of animation and will give you a strong technical and artistic foundation which will allow you to progress to the HND in Classical and Computer Animation (CCH).
What will you study?
- Figure Studies (5N1869)
- Drawing (5N1862)
- Sculpture (5N1918)
- Animation Drawing Studies (5N1830)
- Painting (5N1302)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Animation Layout Design (5N1552)
- Multimedia Authoring (5N1299)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
What do you need to apply?
In addition to the Entry Requirements, for this course you will also need to provide a portfolio of your recent work. Please see the ‘Portfolio Guidelines’ for details.
Art Portfolio Guidelines
Students applying for Animation courses should bring to the interview a portfolio of original artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests. This portfolio should contain:
- Four A3 size drawings from life or the human figure displaying emotion (anger, happiness, love, sadness etc.). It is suggested that you ask a friend or family member to pose for these drawings and that you spend no more than 2 hours on this exercise. Quick sketches are better than finished pieces.
- Approximately twelve pieces of artwork (sketches and more finished work) including observational drawings (life drawing/still life), perspective drawing, some colour work and work of personal interest.
- A sketchbook of quick, 5 to 10 minutes, drawings from life (people, animals, still life, buildings’ interior or exterior).
- The drawings of established cartoon characters and work copied from books should not be included.
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to the Classical and Computer Animation Level 6 (CCH) in BCFE.
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).
View More Testimonials
I completed both the Animation Drawing Studies (CDS) course and the HND in Illustration (AIH) and I am so grateful for everything I learned while at BCFE. I was given direction and feedback by tutors but was also given the freedom to explore my own style and ideas. This means everyone has graduated with a completely unique and original portfolio. I loved the supportive and honest environment in the college and I knew I could ask my peers for advice and critiques when I needed. I also gained the opportunity to go on the Erasmus+ programme in February 2020 when I worked as an illustrator for the Esplora Science Museum in Malta. My work improved so much during my three years at BCFE and so has my confidence in pursuing my dream career.
Animation Drawing Studies (CDS, 2017-2018); HND in Illustration (AIH, 2018- 2020)