Games Design (Visual Media) BA (Hons) Degree Level 8
Course Code CDA1G
NFQ Level 8
Duration 2 Years
Award BA Honours Degree in Visual Media – Animation (University of Dundee)
Why choose a Degree in Games Design Visual Media?
This course is designed as a two-year top up course to build on the HND in Advanced Games Production and Design challenging students to develop and integrate their technical, creative, and academic skills in a structured way. Students collaborate in their designated studio space, outfitted with powerful, high-spec computer Installed software includes the most recent versions of Autodesk (Maya), Reaper, Unity 3D and Unreal engines. All students are issued with an Adobe CC license and have access to the new XR Lab with mo-cap studio.
Course content includes game concept design, asset creation, iterative game prototyping, feedback analysis, and game production. At honours level the learning is largely self-directed. Students work collaboratively on a major project in their final year to produce a fully functioning game in a dedicated studio classroom. Live play, along with promotional trailers, are screened alongside animation shorts at the annual BCFE Graduate Showcase.
Guest lecturers and workshops with professionals from local and international animation studios are a key feature of this course. Class trips have included, but are not limited to studio visits, the animation festival in Dingle which is expanding to include games, VFX, and XR; the DIT Game Jam, as well as the online International Game Jam.
The BA in Game Design Visual Media is an honours degree awarded by the University of Dundee,
What will you study?
- Game Design
- Design and Technology
- Visual Media Theory
- Professional Practice
- Applied Visual Media Theory
- Visual Media Production
What do you need to apply?
- 120 ECTS credits from the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Creative Media Production (Computer Game Design), or relevant and equivalent qualification.
- Students for whom English is their second language, are expected to have an IELTS score of 6.0, or equivalent.
- Students applying for the BA (Hons) degree in Games Design (Visual Media) should bring to the interview an original portfolio of your best work completed within the past year.
- Portfolio should include evidence of game design, game production, research, academic writing and conceptual development. All work must be original and recent.
- Many of our graduates have gained internships and/or full-time employment in world class gaming companies, visual effects, post-production studios, and animation
- The college maintains excellent relationships with their alumni, many of whom are working at Irish-based and international studios.