This course enables students to create a portfolio that is both dynamic and skills based. It covers a wide range of traditional skills such as black and white photography and painting, plus it has the added advantage of giving the student industry level computer skills in graphic design, such as Photoshop and InDesign, perfect if you want to pursue a career in Visual Communications. Throughout the year various artists and designers visit the college to talk and guide students. A highlight of the course is a trip to Paris to view contemporary and historical art in galleries and museums..
- Design Skills
- Graphic Design Skills
- Work Experience
- Appreciation of Art, Craft and Design
- Traditional Black and White Photography
- Figure Studies
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/LCVP or a merit in Leaving Certificate Applied or a relevant QQI level 4 Certificate and successful completion of Interview. The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
Students applying for Art and Design courses should bring to the interview a portfolio of original artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests. This original portfolio should contain:
- A selection of 12 to 18 pieces of recent observational studies. The work should include both quick sketches and detailed drawings which demonstrate the ability to deal with line, tone, texture, colour and form using a variety of media (e.g. pencil, charcoal, pastel, oil, paint).
- Sketchbooks or notebooks can be included in the portfolio submission.
- Graduates with a merit profile may apply for entry to BTEC Higher National Diploma courses in BCFE, such as:
- Graduates of this course may apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities such as to NCAD, TUD and IADT, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).