Cinematography Level 5
Course Code IFC
NFQ Level 5
Duration 1 Year
QQI Code 5M18518
Award QQI Level 5 Certificate in Media Production
Why choose this course?
This one-year course concentrates on developing your knowledge and practical skills in the art of cinematography and provides an opportunity to work with experienced teachers to kick-start your career in filmmaking and make valuable contacts in the film industry.
Students will acquire practical skills in film camera operations with an emphasis placed on the roles and functions of the camera. These skills will be evidenced through practical projects using high end SONY digital cameras. The productions will ensure the acquisition of other important cinematography skills including lighting, digital editing, and scriptwriting. Students will also learn the art of traditional darkroom black and white portrait photography
What will you study?
- Cinematography Lighting Skills (5N5047)
- Digital Editing (5N1438)
- Media Analysis (5N1298)
- Work Experience (5N1356)
- Communications (5N0690)
- Cinematography Camera Operations (5N1590)
- Scriptwriting for Film and Television Drama (6N5525)
- Traditional Black and White Photography (5N0757)
What do you need to apply?
- Five O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate/ LCVP or a Merit in Leaving Certificate Applied, or a relevant QQI Level 4 Certificate.
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
- Students should bring an original portfolio of their recent visual work to the Interview. Each candidate will be interviewed on his or her portfolio work. The main element of the portfolio should be photography; however, film, video work and storyboards can be presented in addition. The portfolio interview will last approximately 20 minutes. The portfolio should contain items that are current or relevant to the application. The emphasis should be on quality and not quantity. Photographic work should show your skills in lighting, framing and composition and possibly sequence. No more than 20 photos should be presented.
- Graduates with a Merit profile may apply for entry to BTEC Higher National Diploma courses in BCFE, such as:
- Graduates of this course may also apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to higher and advanced certificate and degree programmes at national Institutes of Technology, Technological Universities and Universities. Students may also use their digital film and video work as a portfolio to apply for entry to Film and Television Degree programmes such as the Institute of Art, Design and Technology Dun Laoghaire and the Dublin Institute of Technology, (applicants should confirm linked awards and eligibility requirements with the relevant Higher Education Institution).