This course gives budding artists the chance to express themselves artistically through the medium of animation, both classical hand-drawn and computer generated. This dynamic course provides the skills to take individual and group projects from conception to completion. The course aims to enable the student to develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques employed by the professional animator and to acquire the requisite skills to work in Feature, TV or Computer Game animation or to continue on to further study at degree level.
- Fundamentals of 3D Modelling and Character Animation
- Principles of 2D Animation
- Principles of Life Drawing for Animation
- Design for Animation
- Layout for Animation
- Script Writing for Animation
- Principles of Analysis for Animation
- 2D Character Animation
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Character Animation
- Advanced Life Drawing for Animation
- Concept Design for Animation
- Layout and Storyboarding
- Production Practice
- Historical and Theoretical Analysis of Animation
View past students’ work.
Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum H5 in Art and one other H5/O1 and three O6/H7 grades or equivalent or QQI level 5 award with a merit profile. The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+). Suitable Level 5 awards include CDS Animation Drawing Studies
HND in Classical and Computer Animation
The Higher National Diploma is a BTEC (Business and Technology Education Council) qualification awarded by the UK awarding body Pearson. A Higher National Diploma is recognised by the QQI as being comparable to the Higher Certificate at NFQ Level 6.
QQI Comparability Statement
- Students applying for Animation Courses should bring to the interview a portfolio of artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests.
- This portfolio should contain: Four A3 size drawings from life or the human figure displaying emotion (anger, happiness, love, sadness etc). It is suggested that you ask a friend or family member to pose for these drawings and that you spend no more than 2 hours on this exercise. Quick sketches are better than finished pieces.
- Approximately twelve pieces of artwork (sketches and more finished work) including observational drawings (life drawing/still life), perspective drawing, some colour work and work of personal interest.
- A sketchbook of quick, 5 to 10 minutes, drawings from life (people, animals, still life, buildings interior or exterior).
- Please bring only original work. The drawings of established cartoon characters and work copied from books or photographs should not be included.
BA Honours Degree in Visual Media ( Animation) in BCFE. The BA Honours Degree in Visual Media (Animation) is certified by the University of Dundee Scotland.