Classical & Computer Animation Level 6
Course Code CCH
NFQ Level 6*
Duration 2 Years
Award Year 1: Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Classical and Computer Animation
Award Year 2: Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Classical and Computer Animation
Why choose this course?
As a budding artist this course will give you the chance to express yourself through the medium of animation, both classical hand-drawn and computer generated. This dynamic course will provide you with the skills to take individual and group projects from conception to completion.
The course aims to enable you to develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques employed by the professional animator and to acquire the requisite skills to work in feature, TV or computer game animation or to continue on to further study at degree level within BCFE.
What will you study?
- Fundamentals of 3D Modelling and Character Animation
- Principles of 2D Animation
- Principles of Life Drawing for Animation
- Design for Animation
- Layout for Animation
- Script Writing for Animation
- Principles of Analysis for Animation
End of Year 1 Certification Higher National Certificate in Classical and Computer Animation
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Character Animation
- 2D Character Animation
- Advanced Life Drawing for Animation
- Concept Design for Animation
- Layout and Storyboarding
- Production Practice
- Historical and Theoretical Analysis of Animation
End of Year 2 Certification Higher National Diploma in Classical and Computer Animation
What do you need to apply?
Year 1 Higher National Certificate
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum H5 in Art and one other O1/H5 and three O6/H7 grades or equivalent; or a relevant QQI level 5 award with a Merit profile.
- Suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 awards include:
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
Year 2 Higher National Diploma
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 and have achieved a Higher National Certificate in Classical and Computer Animation, can progress automatically to year 2.
- Applicants with an equivalent Higher National Certificate may also apply directly to Year 2, Higher National Diploma in Classical and Computer Animation, subject to module compatibility
Art Portfolio Guidelines
Students applying for the Animation – Classical and Computer should bring to the interview a portfolio of original artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests. This portfolio should contain:
- Four A3 size drawings from life or the human figure displaying emotion (anger, happiness, love, sadness etc.). It is suggested that you ask a friend or family member to pose for these drawings and that you spend no more than 2 hours on this exercise. Quick sketches are better than finished pieces.
- Approximately twelve pieces of artwork (sketches and more finished work) including observational drawings (life drawing/still life), perspective drawing, some colour work and work of personal interest.
- A sketchbook of quick, 5 to 10 minutes, drawings from life (people, animals, still life, buildings’ interior or exterior).
- The drawings of established cartoon characters and work copied from books or photographs should not be included.
Graduates may apply for the Animation Visual Media BA Hons Degree Level 8 in BCFE.
The BA Honours Degree in Animation Visual Media is awarded by the University of Dundee, Scotland.
On successful completion of Year 1 of a two-year Higher National Diploma (HND) an Higher National Certificate (HNC) will be claimed for each 1st Year HND student. It will be included as part of the overall HND award on successful completion of Year 2.