As a budding artist this course will give you the chance to express yourself through the medium of animation, both classical hand-drawn and computer generated. This dynamic course provides the skills to take individual and group projects from conception to completion. The course aims to enable you to develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques employed by the professional animator and to acquire the requisite skills to work in Feature, TV or Computer Game animation or to continue on to further study at degree level.
- Fundamentals of 3D Modelling and Character
- Principles of 2D Animation
- Principles of Life Drawing for Animation
- Design for Animation
- Layout for Animation
- Script Writing for Animation
- Principles of Analysis for Animation
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Character Animation
- 2D Character Animation
- Advanced Life Drawing for Animation
- Concept Design for Animation
- Layout and Storyboarding
- Production Practice
- Historical and Theoretical Analysis of Animation
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum H5 in Art and one other O1/H5 and three O6/H7 grades or equivalent; or a relevant QQI level 5 award with a merit profile. Suitable BCFE QQI Level 5 awards include
- The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+).
Students applying for Animation – Classical and Computer Diploma should bring to the interview a portfolio of original artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests. This portfolio should contain:
- Four A3 size drawings from life or the human figure displaying emotion (anger, happiness, love, sadness etc.). It is suggested that you ask a friend or family member to pose for these drawings and that you spend no more than 2 hours on this exercise. Quick sketches are better than finished pieces.
- Approximately twelve pieces of artwork (sketches and more finished work) including observational drawings (life drawing/ still life), perspective drawing, some colour work and work of personal interest.
- A sketchbook of quick, 5 to 10 minutes, drawings from life (people, animals, still life, buildings’ interior or exterior).
- The drawings of established cartoon characters and work copied from books or photographs should not be included.
Graduates may apply for the BA Honours Degree in Visual Media (Animation Stream) in BCFE. The BA Honours Degree in Visual Media (Animation Stream) is awarded by the University of Dundee, Scotland.