NEW BA (Hons) Immersive Media Production
Course Code IMP
NFQ Level 8
Duration 4 Years
Award Year 1 & 2: Ballyfermot College of Further Education (BCFE). Exit Award (Year 2): Higher Certificate in Immersive Media Production (NFQ Level 6)
Award Year 3 & 4: Institute of Art, Design & Technology (IADT). Exit Award (Year 4): BA (Hons) Immersive Media Production (NFQ Level 8)
Why choose the BA (Hons) in Immersive Media Production?
The BA (Hons) Immersive Media Production is a comprehensive level 8 degree programme designed to equip learners with the necessary skills and knowledge to produce immersive and engaging media experiences. This programme is a 4-year degree programme with Year 1 and Year 2 delivered at Ballyfermot College of Further Education, BCFE and Year 3 and Year 4 delivered at Institute of Art, Design & Technology, IADT.
This multidisciplinary field encompasses various forms of media, including virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), and 360-degree video. Throughout the programme, learners explore the theoretical foundations and practical applications of immersive media, gaining expertise in areas such as storytelling, audio visual production, 3D modelling, coding and virtual production. By combining technical proficiency with artistic creativity, graduates of this degree programme are well-prepared to thrive in the rapidly evolving field of immersive media production, contributing to the development of cutting-edge experiences across industries such as entertainment, education, marketing, and training.
Graduates of the degree in Immersive Media Production have a wide range of career opportunities in various fields related to media production. The industry is constantly evolving, and there is a high demand for skilled professionals with expertise in the latest technologies and techniques used in media production.
What will you study?
Year 1 (BCFE)
- Technical Skills
- Storytelling Through Media
- Media Management
- Intro to Immersive Media Production 1
- IADT FACT Connect
- IADT Faculty Skills Workshop
- Media Production Project
- Postproduction Video and Audio
- Intro to Immersive Media Production 2
Year 2 (BCFE)
- Production Sprint
- Project Management and Workflows
- 3D Modelling + Asset Creation
- Creative Coding
- Society + Media
- IADT Faculty Elective
- Virtual Preproduction
- Virtual Production
- Game Engines + Motion Tracking
- Personal Professional Development
Year 3 (IADT)
- NFS Intensive
- Story Telling for AR + VR
- New Media Technologies
- Digital Studies + Research Methodologies
- Thesis Research Proposal
- Business + Entrepreneurship for Creative Practice
- Professional Practice + Placement
Year 4 (IADT)
- Minor Project
- Major Project
What do you need to apply?
The BA (Hons) Immersive Media Production is open to all qualified applicants who meet the minimum requirements as outlined below and who successfully produce a portfolio of a required standard.
- Leaving Certificate pre-2017 2 x Higher Level C3 plus 4 x Ordinary D3
- Leaving Certificate post 2017 2 x H5 plus 4 x 06 / H7
If English is not the applicants first language and they have not successfully completed English in the Leaving Certificate or have not obtained a minimum of a Grade C, at GCSE O Level; then applicants will need to submit evidence of one of the qualifications listed below before an offer of a place can be made. Certificates of English Language Competence (if applicable) and acceptable qualifications include:
- TOEFL: 215 (Computer based test) or 80 (Internet based test)
- IELTS: Composite score in the range of 6.0-6.5 with not less than 6.0 in any one component.
- UCLES: Proficiency in English: Grade C or Advanced English: Grade A
- CELTS: Equivalent score to above
Offers will be made on a first come first served basis to those that meet the entry requirements and pass the portfolio assessment. Applicants to the programme will be contacted in August with further details regarding their digital portfolio submission.
Once contacted, applicants will be required to submit a portfolio of work – in digital format – which should demonstrate their enthusiasm for the course as well as their interests and strengths. Typically, a portfolio will demonstrate the applicant’s technical and visual skills, creativity, self-motivation, inventiveness, experimentation, flexibility, and stylistic variation. Applicants are not expected to be experts in immersive media but should display an interest in, and capacity for, the discipline. Portfolios are assessed on a pass/fail basis. Applicants may be called for interview if additional information is required to make an assessment.
A portfolio of relevant work is required on application. This should include 5 pieces and should be chosen to demonstrate the range of technical skill, aptitude, motivation, experience and artistic/creative or related styles.
Instructions for portfolio submission will be emailed to applicants on receipt of their online application.
This is a 4 year degree programme with Year 1 and Year 2 delivered at Ballyfermot College of Further Education, BCFE and Year 3 and Year 4 delivered at Institute of Art, Design & Technology, IADT.
The level 8 award may be a gateway to further education at a point in the future. Level 8 graduates may wish to apply to masters or PhD programmes in related areas of study
Graduates will have a wide range of career opportunities in various fields related to media production. Some of the common career paths for graduates of this degree may include:
- Media Production Graduates with skills in media production can work as media specialists creating content for film/tv, websites, social media platforms, and marketing campaigns. Graduates will be particularly well placed to work in digital/future media.
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Graduates with expertise in virtual reality and augmented reality can work in this emerging field. They create immersive experiences for various applications, such as training, entertainment, and education.
- Games Graduates with expertise in interactive media and gaming can pursue careers within the games industry. They develop and design games assets/media for various platforms, including mobile devices, consoles, and computers.
- Animation Graduates with skills in digital media production workflows and pipelines can pursue careers in technical roles within animation teams. They can work with animated content for various mediums, including films, television shows, video games, and advertising.
- Video Editing Graduates with skills in video production can work as video editors. They edit and create video content for various platforms, including television, film, and digital media.
- Producer/Director Graduates with strong leadership skills and experience in media production can go on to work as producers or directors. They oversee the production process and manage teams of professionals to create content for various mediums.
For further details on the course please contact: